Sunday, August 11, 2013

Sullivan's Island Dress




There hasn't been much sewing or crafting going on around here lately with a newborn in the house. So I thought I would share one of my favorite past projects with you. 

This is my masterpiece! It's the very first dress I ever made for Sophie and by far my favorite. I made this in spring 2012 for her 2 year old portraits. That right, spring 2012. I have not been sewing that long! 

My wonderful mother in law had been teaching me how to sew and this was my first attempt at sewing something myself. Or "all by my own self" as Sophie would say! With this being my first major project, it took awhile to complete but I can't be happier this how it turned out. Sophie looked beautiful wearing it. 


The pattern we used was New Look 6718, option B. Included was a pattern for matching bloomers.





The fabric came from my mothers in law's stash. The blue is the most gorgeous shade of bright turquoise and has a pleated look. I trimmed the dress in brown polka dot fabric with pink ric rac accent.



I really have a great mother in law. My own mother passed away when I was very young and I feel so lucky to now have this lovely lady to call mom. Thanks to her patience and great teaching skills I have learned to sew and it has become one of my favorite things to do in my free time. 





Linking to these parties!

11 comments:

  1. So cute!! I am going to start sewing for my granddaughter this week! Cute pattern, thanks
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute dress! I love the brown polka dot fabric and the turquoise fabric. And the bloomers are cute, too. I believer every baby/toddler dress should have matching bloomers! :-)

    Navy Wifey Peters @ Submarine Sunday Link Party

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this is such a pretty dress. I love the fabrics and the ric rac! I could put ric rac on everything! Thank for sharing this, Linda! Congratulations on the newborn!
    Gina @ Gina's Craft Corner

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute dress. I love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That dress is absolutely beautiful. I am a new sewer too, so I especially enjoy seeing these kinds of projects from people at my skill level. Gives me confidence to try something more. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't you just love dressing up a little girl? The daughter and the dress are precious.

    Great work on your first sewing attempt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this dress! The blue with the brown is so pretty. This is perfect for my little redhead! Thanks for sharing! Great job on your first project!

    I'd love for you to link your outfit to our Fall Clothing Party!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute dress and pretty girl! Love the ricr ac and polka dot fabric combination!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good job with making the dress all by yourself! Careful, this kind of work gets addictive. http://xoxograndma.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete