Thursday, April 18, 2013

The Garden Party Dress



Today I am debuting Sophie's birthday party dress, affectionately known as The Garden Party Dress in honor of her party theme. (Yes we are having a Garden Party!)


I used Pretty Prudent's One Shoulder Dress tutorial. They provide a free 2T pattern, which was the size I was trying to make, but I found that it was too big for my little sweet pea! Sophie is very petite for her age at only 23 lbs. so I had to trim about 2" off either side seam and take the elastic in at the top by several inches.

The top shoulder seam which measured 3" in the pattern had to be shorted to about 1 1/2". 3" stuck out beyond Sophie's shoulder and the ruffle wouldn't lay down flat. The trick with the ruffle is that the shoulder seam has to be shorter than the width of the ruffle in order for it lay down. Once these adjustments were made, it fit perfectly!

Also, I added rick rack trim at the bottom which I think really makes the dress POP! All you have to do is pin the rick rack at the very edge of your hem to the right side of the fabric. 



Sew in place. 




Then flip the rick rack to the underside of the dress so that only half of the rick rack is visible from the front. 



 Top stitch down using a 3mm stitch. 





This is how it looks when you're done:


You just need an extra 1/4" on your hem length to account for the tiny part of the fabric that gets folded under. 

I really like the style of this dress. You don't see many one-shouldered dresses for toddlers so it's very unique. I found the fabric at Walmart in one of those little pre-cut stash starter packs.



Sophie will be wearing this at her 3rd birthday party on Saturday so check back soon for some pictures!

UPDATE 4/22/13: See Sophie wearing the dress and check out the party details on this post.
















Linking to these parties!

20 comments:

  1. I am visiting you from Girl Inspired. This is "sew" cute. I love the rick rack. I just saw some jumbo rick rack at my local quilt shop and need to figure out where to use it. You may like my post on teaching your children to sew in the form of a Summer Sewing Camp:
    http://www.thelostapron.com/2013/04/summer-sewing-camp.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable!!
    ~Mrs. Lopez of lovinglifeinpink.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am linking up from Somewhat Simple. I love this dress! I have a toddler girl (she's a big 2 year old) and this would make a perfect summertime dress! Thanks for sharing!

    http://hotcommodityhome.blog.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG this is so cute!! I'm going to show this to my BFF, she'll love it!! Pinning too!

    Jenny from diywithjenandb.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adorable dress! I'm pinning it! I really love the fabric!

    Navy Wifey Peters @ Submarine Sunday Link Party
    http://www.usscrafty.blogspot.com/2013/04/submarine-sunday-27_14.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. visiting from petals to picots. This is absolutely gorgeous. The details just make it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this dress. The fabric is darling!
    Donna @onceupinasewingmachine.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. The ric rack is my favorite part! How cute is that detail. Thank you for sharing! I’d love to have you visit me at Get Your Crap Together! We have a Pattern Party with free patterns from the 1st of the month to the 10th that I’d love for you to check out. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow that is so cute! I wish I could do something like that! But I have such a hard time doing anything DIY lol, but atleast I can see other peoples :D I enjoyed reading your post! And I love your blog! Found you over at Clippie Dips blog Hop I hope you can come visit me!

    Teresa @ Freebies 4 My Family!

    ReplyDelete
  10. beautiful dress! the ric rac adds the perfect finishing touch :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the dress! I've pinned it so that I can try it later =)

    -Amy
    www.thestitchinmommy.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. So, so cute!! I also love one shoulder dresses on little girls. I think this is a dress I will have to try (even though I am a VERY beginner sewer). My little munchkin is also very petite so thank you for adding the adjustments you made! Thank you so much for sharing on Much Ado About Monday. We can't wait to see what you have to share with us next week!

    See you then,
    Jamie
    www.huckleberrylove.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you end up making one for your little girl. I would love to see it.

      Delete
  13. so cute! I love the ric rac! Came over from Tatertots and jello. Would love for you to check out my blog sometime if you have a chance.
    emily
    nap-timecreations.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a fresh breeze after a long winter. She will look cute in it!

    Thank you for partying with the Wildly Original Crowd.
    <3 Christina at I Gotta Create!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so adorable! I love how this turned out and will be featuring this in my party highlights this week. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an adorable dress! You did a fantastic job. Thanks so much for sharing this at Give Me The Goods Monday. Hope to see you again tomorrow ;)
    Jamie @ somuchbetterwithage.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. When I was reading about the party I thought this dress was adorable. And now I see you made it. Great job. It's adorable!!

    ReplyDelete