Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Little Bird Nursery Curtains




I made the curtains for the new -- yet to be named -- baby's nursery. My mother in law found the fabric at Joann's and it coordinates very well with the Pottery Barn Penelope bedding in the nursery. My inspiration was a tutorial from I Can Find the Time, but I modified several things.
  • I used grosgrain ribbon instead of fabric sashes. Easier and prettier in my opinion!

  • In the tutorial, the top border is the same color as the back liner of the curtain. I wanted a pink border but didn't want the whole back of the curtain to be pink (just in case you could see if from the outside) so I lined the back of the curtain with white but did a 4" pink border at the top for an accent color, which gets folded over to the front when you make the pocket for the rod. 

  • I added a gathered grosgrain ribbon to the edge of the top border using the new gathering foot I recently purchased.


  • The tutorial attaches all four tie-up sashes to the front of the curtain, and then flips two of the ties over the curtain rod to come down the back side of the curtain to create the ties. I preferred not to have the back ties looped over the rod so I attached the ribbons that run down the back side of the curtain to the back in the seam between the white lining and the pink border, as shown below.

I love the way they turned out!




Especially the sweet ribbons!


By the way, do you know how hard it is to tie four ribbons to look EXACTLY the same? I don't want to tell you how long that "simple process" took!

The nursery is basically ready other than a few last minute decorative touches.





Linking to these parties!

17 comments:

  1. Oh how pretty and perfect are these. Beautiful. I would love for you to link up to my Inspire Me party that is ongoing. - - -http://www.astrollthrulife.net/2013/05/164th-inspire-me-tuesday.html Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL....about the tying of the matching ribbons. The curtains look great and it looks to be a wonderfully sweet place to bring a baby girl home to.
    stopping by to visit from Fluster’s Creative Muster Wednesday Linky Party
    Carolyn @ iamthecraftylady.com
    I hope you will stop by for a visit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh.. I just love this! The fabric is soo sweet and I adore the addition of the lovely ribbon.
    xoxo
    Amie @ Pinkapotamus

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is adorable! The brid fabric is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are adorable! I would love for you to link up at http://hickorytrailblog.blogspot.com/2013/05/assets-and-efforts-linky-party-2.html

    Thank you,
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the fabric! Thank you for sharing this on Fluster's Creative Muster Party!

    Robin
    Fluster Buster

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the fabric & style of these nursery curtains. I'd love for you to drop by, share & link up if you like @ DearCreatives.com Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are so sweet! Thanks for sharing with us at Share It Saturday!
    Colleen at www.sugaraunts.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such lovely curtains! I love the bird fabric! Too cute!


    Navy Wifey Peters @ Submarine Sunday Link Party

    http://usscrafty.blogspot.com/2013/05/submarine-sunday-32.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh the curtains are adorable! It looks so sweet with all the little bird designs and the ribbons! Definitely, sweet ribbons! I can't believe you made them yourself. It looks like it's made by someone professional.

    - HairbowCenter.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are adorable! Thanks for sharing this at my Pin Me Linky Party.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So cute! Love love love the fabric! Thank you for sharing on Party In Polka Dots!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The curtains are so cute! I love the fabric and color. You did a fabulous job. Thank you so much for sharing at A Bouquet of Talent this week! Have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend.
    XOXO
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I love how these turned out. So cute! I'll be featuring these. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am glade to read this, Thank you so much for providing individuals with such a breathtaking opportunity to read from this blog. It is always very enjoyable

    Curtain

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are so pretty - thank you for sharing @ The Mommy Archive Alice x

    ReplyDelete