Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Four Cheese Macaroni


This is the best macaroni recipe! I grew up eating traditional macaroni made with egg but we had to find an egg-free version due to Sophie's egg allergy and I like this so much better.

Ingredients:

1/2 lb. elbow macaroni
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese  
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup gruyere cheese
1/4 cup fontina cheese
2 cups milk
1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon ground mustard

Directions:

1. Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain. 
2. Preheat oven to 350.
3. Over medium heat, melt the butter. Once butter has melted, add the flour. Mix together thoroughly.
4. Add milk and whisk the mixture. Turn up heat to medium high and continue to whisk until the sauce begins to bubble around the edges. Turn heat to low.
5. Add the cheddar, gruyere & fontina cheeses one handful at a time, whisking them into the sauce.
6. When the cheeses have melted, add the seasonings.
7. Put the pasta in a baking dish and pour the cheese mixture on top.
8. Sprinkle the Parmesan over the top followed by the Panko bread crumbs.
9. Bake for 30 min. 

It comes out of the oven with a nice crispy top.






If you don't have the fancy cheeses on hand, I've made this before with just cheddar,

mozzarella, and Parmesan and it was almost as good.

Enjoy!






Linking to these parties!

18 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! I look forward to trying it. I came over from House of Hepworths Link party.

    lovepastatoolbelt.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love macaroni - the more cheese the better! This looks really yummy! Thank you so much for Linking up to Fluster's Creative Muster Party!

    Robin
    Fluster Buster

    ReplyDelete
  3. Macaroni is always a hit in our house and I love trying new mac-n-cheese recipes. Thanks for sharing this week at LWSL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks sooooo yummy! I'd love for you to come share it at http://www.fidlersunderoneroof.com/2013/05/link-party-1.html on our "Fidlin' Fridays" link party!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow... I have my own version of baked mac and cheese and I think I should add more bread crumbs to the top of it, because that is the biggest difference between ours and it looks so much more delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yum-this looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks so scrumptious!

    Thanks for sharing at the Wildly Original link party =)

    <3 Christina @ I Gotta Create!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh like the sound of this!!!

    Would love it if you could share this on my link party Serenity Saturday

    Natasha xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your mac and cheese looks delicious! I love the addition of the Panko breadcrumbs! I'll have to try that next time! Looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks good - Fontina is the most yummy cheese ever - will have to try this!

    Sam
    http://cooksandcreates.blogspot.com/

    (Found you on Skip to my Lou!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks so good! It is similar to my recipe but I just use sharp cheddar - looks so much more flavorful with the variety of cheeses!
    Stopping by from the Party in Polka Dots!
    Beth
    www.structureinanunstructuredlife.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. All those cheeses are making hungry! I'd love if you came and shared this on my Foodie Friday party.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yum!! Thanks so much for linking this up to Give Me The Goods Monday! Can't wait to see what you bring next party ;)
    Jamie @ somuchbetterwithage.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Delicious, my husband would love this I know!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks awesome!! Yum!! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Thursday's Temptation! I am going to be featuring your dish at tonights link party!
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks fantastic! There is nothing better then homemade mac n cheese! Thanks for sharing, Newest follower please feel free to stop over and say hi

    ReplyDelete
  17. Linda, just lovely. It would be great if you linked in to Food on Friday: Pasta & Noodles. The showcases from this Food on Friday have not yet been selected. This link will take you to my home page where you will find a sidebar with links to all the different Food on Fridays. So that I know you have linked and can be sure to pin to the board I have for each one, please do leave a short comment. Cheers

    ReplyDelete