Friday, August 23, 2013

Play Kitchen Renovation


I've received several questions about the play kitchen which was seen in the post about Sophie's Sesame Street Party.

My dad built this play kitchen for my sister and I when we were kids. But at that time, it looked like this:



We remodeled it a little over a year ago and it's been getting heavy use from Sophie ever since. See how we did it after the break!


Quite a difference, huh? But boy did we love playing with it. We spent many happy hours "cooking" in that kitchen.

Here is me and my dad on Christmas morning when he first gave it to us:

 
And my sister playing with it:


It's been up in the attic collecting dust for the past 2 decades until I decided to freshen it up for Sophie. I told my Dad he did a great job building it but it needed a woman's touch in terms of color! First I sanded it down really well.


 Then removed all the hinges, sink and faucet and took the doors off to sand those as well.



Painted it with a primer to cover the dark stain:


I selected some bright and cheerful paint colors. 



And Robbie cut a hole in the oven door and covered it with plexiglass so it would look more like a real oven.



Then we spruced it up with new hardware, stove burners, and sink/faucet. My husband got the "sink" from a restaurant supply store. It's actually one of those warming trays that caterers use. I found the faucet on eBay. To make the stove burners, I spray painted cork mats silver and cut strips to look like burners from glitter foam sheets. 


 

These great bins for holding food and dishes came from Dollar Tree.



Sophie has lots of fun food items to stock with kitchen with (you can click any link below to go directly to the product page at Amazon): 

Made from recycled materials, Sophie loves to serve what she cooks these.


Green Toys Tea Set 
What little girl doesn't love tea parties? Enough said.


Kidcraft Deluxe Cookware Set  

Melissa & Doug Slice and Bake Cookie Set
I would highly recommend any of the Melissa & Doug toys, and this one is my personal favorite. You can remove the icing and stack the cookies together in the canister, then cut them apart with the knife. The icing attaches with velcrow so you can "decorate" them yourself..


Melissa & Doug Ice Cream Scoop Set
This one is a close second favorite. The ice cream easily attaches to the scoop with a magnet.

Melissa & Doug Bake and Decorate Cupcake Set
This one comes with markers (aka icing) that you can use the decorate the cupcakes, then easily wipe off when done. Just don't leave a 2 year old unattended with this. I didn't realize they were real markers when we first got it and marker almost ended up on our white rug!


Melissa & Doug Birthday Party Cake

Melissa & Doug Pizza Party


Melissa & Doug Felt Food - Sandwich Set




If you'd like to purchase any of these products, please click on the links above or the image in the carousel below to purchase directly from Amazon.

I couldn't be happier with the final product!





And most importantly Sophie approves! (These pictures are from March 2012 when we gave it to her! Look how tiny she is!)









I hope it brings her as many sweet memories as it did me!









Linking to these parties!


16 comments:

  1. WOW! This is absolutely fantastic! I love how you showed your photos as a kid when you got it. It's a wonderful transformation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute! Love the story behind it! Your daughter is adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is AMAZING! It turned out so beautifully! I can't believe the transformation...wow! I'm sure little Miss Sophie is totally in love with it too. I popped over from A Bowl Full of Lemons--thanks for sharing!

    ~Abby =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks awesome!!! We would love it if you would link up at our linky party:
    http://www.lifewiththecrustcutoff.com/two-girls-and-a-party-link-up-31/
    Live every Wednesday to Sunday.
    Hosted by:
    http://www.lifewiththecrustcutoff.com/ Parrish @ Life with the Crust Cut Off
    http://thissillygirlslife.com/ Dana @ This Silly Girl’s Life
    We hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your kitchen reno. I've been pinning ideas to renovate some old furniture (old nightstand) into kitchen pieces. Will have to pin!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How funny that a play kitchen would get a renovation. :) Love how it turned out. So fresh and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so cute! I love that it was something that you loved as a child and were able to pass it down! I bet she adores it as much as you did!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, this is so sweet! I love that your dad made it for you and you guys kept it all this time. I love the colors you chose, so beautiful. If you get a chance, please link up to my link party: http://suburbsmama.blogspot.com/2013/08/sunday-linky-23.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a brilliant kitchen. I think you did a terrific job at restoring it and it would be very hard for little ones to resist playing with it. So lovely looking at those old photographs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! These look great! Don't forget to link up to The DIY'ers! http://homecomingmn.blogspot.com/2013/09/the-diyers-27.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, just love your kitchen makeover and your old photos are priceless!! Hi,

    Featured you today from the Whimsy Wednesday Link Party!! Thanks for sharing!

    http://www.ohmy-creative.com/home/decor-accents/diy-craft-trends-style-home/

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  12. This was such a sweet post! I'm such a softy for walks down memory lane. Thanks so much for sharing this. The kitchen looks great and your daughter is absolutely precious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so awesome, and I love the story behind it. Thanks for sharing :)
    ~Katie @ Upcycled Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is truly adorable! And I love that it has a history and a story! Great post. Thanks for sharing!

    http://thriftarchives.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm sure you kids probably hate this, so i would be happy to take it off your hands. wink wink! What a GREAT job! LOVE it!!! Thanks so much for linking up to support Habitat!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a transformation! Love the soft, pastel colors & the addition of the burners was brilliant.
    http://xoxograndma.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete