Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Here in Our Corner: Treasure Hunt




When I was little my grandmother gave me a ton of costume jewelry to play dress up with. She used to work at the jewelry counter at a department store before retiring and had accumulated lots of it over the years. My sister and I enjoyed playing with it, but it eventually wound up in the attic when we got older. 

About 5 or 6 years ago my dad found it when he was cleaning out the attic, and I decided to get rid of it. I offered it to my mother in law to use in her costume shop at school. (She teaches art and costume design).  But she suggested that I hang on to it in case I ever had a little girl to share it with. 

So it wound up in our attic. Along came Sophie and now she's old enough to play with it. Sophie has really been into pirates, and maps, and treasure lately. She's always pretending to be going on treasure hunts. 

So I put together a scavenger hunt for her with the jewelry as the "treasure."  I simply wrote the following  "clues" on pieces of paper and rolled them up like maps:

  • Look for the clue in your shoe. 
  • Wouldn't it be funny if there was a map with your bunny?
  • You might get what you wish if you look under the fish. 
  • Look for the key in the tree.
  • To find the treasure, now you need to go and look under the rainbow. 

Cheesy I know, but I didn't have much time to plan and come up with anything better! Robbie had already let Sophie see the "treasure chest" without knowing I had planned to do this so I had to scramble and come up with something quick. We held her off from opening it long for me to throw this game together and stash the treasure chest in her princess castle where I taped a quick drawing of a rainbow to the roof to relate to the last clue. 


She has such a ball running from one place to the next and finding another "map." And oh boy, when she found the treasure she was soooo excited! Jewels! Sparkly jewels!






Unfortunately we should've inspected the jewelry closer before giving it to her. Time has taken a toll on these pieces and 3 necklaces popped within 5 min of her taking them out of the box. Others are barely hanging on. So I'll have to go through it and make a few things magically disappear before the next time she gets her hands on it! 

 

3 comments:

  1. What fun for her! And what fun to have those vintage treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the fun, creative activity! And little girls especially would enjoy it! I have a boy, and I think he might like it! Is there any way to be able to pin the ides till I can do it! Thank you! Keep enjoying your precious girl!

    ReplyDelete

  3. Yes, you can pin anything from my site. Simply click on the title of the post and then click the pin it button which you will see at the top of the post. Make sure you pin from the post itself and not the main page or your pin will track back to the most current post on the main page rather than the treasure hunt post. Let me know how your son likes it!

    ReplyDelete