Sunday, August 18, 2013

Here in Our Corner: Preschool

Sophie has been promoted to a new classroom at her preschool starting tomorrow. She will be reunited with her favorite teacher and we are so excited!

Tomorrow is also Audrey's first day at preschool. OK, I guess at her age it's really more like day care but preschool sounds better, doesn't it? I'm not exactly looking forward to returning to work but the time has come. It's going to be so hard to leave her! I will miss her (and Sophie) sooooo much!


We are very blessed that we've found such a wonderful preschool for the girls. Sophie loves it and so do we. It's run by 2 former teachers and is very focused on education. I'm amazed by all that Sophie has learned at such a young age, and grateful that Audrey will have the same learning opportunities as she gets older. 

Sophie can count to 15, knows all of her shapes and colors (and has for some time), can recognize and make sounds for many letters, knows which letters make up her name, and is even learning to write. 

Last week, she was drawing on her Aqua Doodle and said, "Mommy, look I wrote a D!" Sure enough, she had written a D!  I asked her to show me other letters and she was able to write a C, D, E, F, H, I, L, O, P, Q, T, X, and made a darn good attempt at an S! I was amazed! As she wrote each letter she also told me what sound it makes: "Ta - Ta - Ta - Tiger" and "Ca - Ca - Ca - Cat." She was so proud of herself and so was I!

Later that day, she brought a book to me (Stellaluna....one of our favorites!) and asked, "Can you help me say the words?" So I read to her a few words at a time and she repeated them. I used my finger to show her which words I was reading and and she watched intently. I think we're going to start doing this reading exercise every night before bed to help her learn. 

As you can see she has always loved books and is excited about learning to read them herself! For as long as I can remember, she takes books from her bookshelf and sits in the corner with them looking at the pictures, as well as often reciting them from memory. If you ask her what's she doing, she says, "Mommy, I'm reading!"


She has fun at school too. They have 2 daily recess breaks, and wheelie day and water day each week during the summer where they get to ride their bikes and play in the sprinklers. She's a very social child too and has many good friends at school that she enjoys seeing each day. 

I'm having a hard time with going back to work but in all honesty know that if the girls were home with me all the time they wouldn't be exposed to the learning or social opportunities they have at school. It really is a great little place, and I know when we are all reunited tomorrow afternoon it will make me appreciate my time with them even more. 


UPDATE: 8/20/13: Audrey had a GREAT first day. She was happy and alert, enjoyed spending time with the other babies and listening to her teacher sing "Under the Sea." :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment