Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Hidden Vegetable Baked Rotoni




I have to give credit to my sister Ellen for this recipe. She made it one night when she had us over for dinner and Sophie ate every bite and asked for more. That almost never happens!

And the best part is it has zucchini disguised in the dish. You know how toddlers are about eating their veggies, so this is a great way to get some greens in without them knowing! 

Ingredients:
8 oz. Rotini Pasta
3/4 lb. ground pork or chicken sausage
15 oz. ricotta cheese
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
26 oz. jar spaghetti sauce
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon slat
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese 
2 small zucchini

Heat over to 350. Cook pasta according to package directions. Brown meat until thoroughly cooked and drain. Stir in spaghetti sauce with meat and simmer for 10 min. In a small bowl, stir together ricotta cheese, 1 cup mozzarella cheese and seasonings; set aside. Shred the zucchini with a cheese grater; set aside. Toss hot pasta with meat sauce. Spoon half the meat / pasta mixture into  a 13 x 9 x 2" pan and spread cheese mixture on the top. Layer with the zucchini and remaining meat / pasta mixture. Sprinkle top with 1 cup mozzarella and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese. Cover with foil and bake for 25 min. Remove foil and bake for 5 min more or until slightly brown.  


See the little green zucchini hiding in there? Your kids will never know!





Linking to these parties!

10 comments:

  1. Shredding zucchini is one of my favorite tricks, too. I usually peel it, though, because my son will freak out if he sees 'grass' in his food. But then it's easy enough to mix in spaghetti sauce, meatloaf, meatballs, etc. He has no idea! LOL If you haven't already, I'd love if you'd come join my How To Tuesday link party, too.

    http://housewifehowtos.com/link-party-2/how-to-tuesday-link-party-11/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the invite! I will join you next Tues.

      Delete
  2. This is my favorite trick! I put spinach in my stuffed shells and you can't taste it. I do this just so I feel a little healthier eating pasta. ;) I found you via Somewhat Simple link party. I would love it if you visited my blog, Angela Says.

    Have a great day!
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love pasta bakes and so do my kids. I like that it is healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My kids and I love pasta bakes! I like that it is healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this yummy recipe! Love the addition of the shredded zucchini!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I pinned this, it looks delicious. I am a new follower on everything. Good Luck in your new adventure. I would love for you to come share at my link party going on now at http://www.memoriesbythemile.com/
    Your blog is very cute!
    Wanda Ann @ Memories by the Mile

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, this looks so delicious! I was torn between featuring this and the bedskirt. :) Thank you so much for sharing at A Bouquet of Talent. I just pinned.

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome...I love sneaking vegetables past kids. :)

    ReplyDelete