Monday, September 30, 2013

Best Halloween Costumes

We love love love Halloween around here. Robbie's birthday is on the 30th so it's the perfect excuse to have a costume party. I would like to share with you some of our best costumes from years past.

Our first big bash was for Robbie's 30th birthday. He dressed up as a pirate and I was a medieval princess. How gorgeous is this dress? The sleeves were my favorite part.


My dress was borrowed from his mom's costume shop at school and was handmade by one of her students. She oversees costume design for all of the school's play productions and has a massive storage room full of costumes. It's so much fun to go there and look through all the stuff which just goes on for rack after rack after rack.  For Robbie's pirate costume he wore his own pants combined with a shirt and accessories borrowed from the costume shop.

I made the pointed hat myself out of a rolled up tube of poster board that I covered in crushed velvet fabric. Then I stuck a yard or so of organza into the little hole at the top of the hat to make the "veil" part. (What do you call that anyway?) I wish I had a tutorial to offer but this was made in the days long before I thought about starting a blog.


Yikes....look at that banister. HIDEOUS! This picture was taken before Robbie replaced it with a white banister and wrought iron spindles. Check out this post to see what it looks like now. 
The following year we dressed as a flapper and a gangster. 



We went for store bought costumes that year because we were deeply engrossed in construction of Halloween decorations for the yard. Stay tuned for a post on that later this month! I bought the flapper costume here.

And that wig would be perfect for recycling into a Snow White costume one day. 




Sophie arrived during the next year so for the following Halloween we did family themed costumes. Robbie was Peter Pan, I was Wendy and Sophie was Tinker Bell. 



 Doesn't Sophie make the cutest Tinkerbell ever???




Robbie's mom made his costume, my dress was made by one of her students, and Sophie's costume I believe is no longer made but you can find something similar here. My father in law was Captain Hook, wearing items from the costume shop. (And he would probably object to me putting his picture on here...so I will just skip it!) 



The following year Robbie and I were Gomez and Morticia Addams. I borrowed my dress from a friend and Robbie's suit was store bought. He could not keep that mustache on straight to save his life!




 



The plan was for Sophie to be Wednesday but it's impossible to find a braided wig for a 1 1/2 year old, and I suspect even less likely that she'd wear it. So at the last minute we decided that Sophie would be the Addams Family cat! 


Here she is with the ears:




Later this week I will be featuring Sophie's costume from last year that was a true masterpiece, and entirely handmade by me and her grandmother.

My Halloween costume this year is in progress. I've bought a gray wig, purple sequined fabric, shiny black fabric, wire, stuffing and suction cups. Can anyone guess what I'll be???





Linking to these parties!

10 comments:

  1. So cute!! I love how you and your family get into the spirit. Great costumes!! She would have been so cute as Wednesday ;-) Stopping by from Sugar Bee Crafts linky party. Here is what I shared this week: http://craftybrooklynarmywife.blogspot.com/2013/09/aragon-test-pattern-and-happy-fall.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all the Halloween costumes! I actually bought an Egyptian one this year, but was debating with a Flappers costume as well. Have to go back because I bought it two sizes too big, hmmm maybe it's a sign I should be a flapper instead :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable! We dress up as a family every year too. Last year we were characters from Clue. Found you by way of the Today's Creative Blog link party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the Clue idea! So unique! Do you have pictures?

      Delete
  4. You are a family after my own heart! We love to all dress up together! You have some great ideas! Thanks for sharing! I'd love for you to come join our Halloween Party!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute, like the Morticia and the Flapper girl outfits! I'm always a witch so it's just a matter of changing the hat each year...I should go all the way out like you guys! Thank you so much for sharing your inspiration at the Fluster Buster party, Lizy party co host!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow so fun! I'm impressed at the adult costumes! I always want to do something, but just end up making stuff for the kids! I came over from the costume link party... I just linked up my boys football player costumes for this year... :o) Emily@nap-timecreations.com

    ReplyDelete