Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Best Breastfeeding Products


I truly believe breastfeeding is the best way to nourish your baby. I nursed Sophie for 13 months and plan to do the same for Audrey. It's not always easy, but stick with it because it will be one of the most rewarding experiences you'll ever have. Along the way, I have discovered these great products that make nursing easier and more comfortable. You can click on any of the links below to purchase directly from Amazon.


You can pump completely hands free if you can fork out the bucks for the Medela Freestyle! The battery operated motor also allows you to walk around.  If I had to do it again this is the one I would go for! It sure would be nice to have that mobility when chasing after a toddler! 



Medela Pump in Style Breast Pump
I have the Medela Pump in Style. I have used it heavily (3x/day for 13 months with Sophie and 4 months so far with Audrey) and it's still going strong with no problems.  It's slightly more affordable than the Medela Freestyle and you can make it hands free by using the bra shown below. 


Simple Wishes Hands-Free Bra
Yes, I know it looks funny but it works! Trust me, you don't want to have to hold the shields up to your chest for 15-20 minutes at a time.This bra makes it so much easier.


More Milk Special Blend 
If you ever experience milk production issues, try More Milk Plus Special Blend. When Audrey started day care, I found that I was not pumping as much as she was drinking in bottles during the day. This often occurs because the baby is much more efficient at getting milk than the pump is. I gave More Milk Plus Special Blend a try after a lactation consultant recommended it to me, and now I'm getting about an extra 2 oz. each time I pump. It's an herbal product with fenugreek, blessed thistle, fennel seed and goat's rue.  I've been able to make all her bottles each day and usually have an ounce or two left over.

The Breastfeeding Mother's Guide to Making More Milk 
This book is an excellent resource for improving low milk supply. It covers the causes of low milk supply, the way your body makes milk, and how babies contribute to your milk production.

 

Boppy Pillow
This helps you support the baby at the perfect position for nursing, and can also be used for tummy time and as a support for the baby to sit up in. I would also recommend getting a water resistant cover because the baby WILL spit up on it. Trust me! 



Tommee Tippee Bottles
Personally, I find these bottles to be the best for transitioning a baby between the bottle and breast. Audrey uses these and has had no problems with nipple confusion.  


Tommee Tippee Anti-Colic Bottles
Audrey needed the anti-colic bottles as a newborn to help reduce air intake and spitting up. We found them to be very effective. 



Udder Covers  Breast Feeding Nursing Cover
I didn't have a nursing cover with Sophie and I honestly don't know how I survived without it. This enables you to nurse with privacy when you have a friend visiting or if you're in a public area. 
 

Sensible Lines Milk Trays
These trays let you freeze breast milk in 1 oz. sticks which defrost easily and never create waste because you only defrost exactly how much you need.




Medela Tender Care Lanolin 
This product goes on much smoother than other lanolin creams.

 

Medela Quick Clean Micro-Steam Bags
I use these bags once a week to sterilize all of Audrey's bottles and pump parts, as well as pacifiers and straws from Sophie's sippy cups. Just put 2 oz. of water in the bag and pop in the microwave....easy peasy!

Medela SoftSheild Breast Shells
These are great at the beginning to promote healing and to protect your breasts from being irritated by rubbing against your clothes.

 

Lansinoh Disposable Nursing Pads
Soft and absorbent with a waterproof backing that protects clothes. 

 
  I hope you will find something here to help you on your breastfeeding journey.

 
Linking to these parties!

1 comment:

  1. The Boppy and the shawl were the two things I couldn't have lived without.

    ReplyDelete