Friday, July 12, 2013

Curly Sue Dress




There hasn't been much crafting going on around here with a newborn in the house so I thought I would share one of my favorite past projects with you. 

You gotta love making something pretty out of something ordinary. This beautiful dress was made from one of my husband's old undershirts using the Curly Sue Dress tutorial at Delila Creates. 

The bottom of each layer is trimmed in red thread using a lettuce hem. I LOVE the contrast between the red and white. This could look pretty in so many colors though. The possibilities are endless. 


Instead of stitching on the exposed edge, I turned the edge under just a tiny bit (like 1/8") and trimmed on the folded part which looked a lot cleaner in my opinion. The fold is so tiny that the thread completely hides it. 


I monogrammed Sophie's initials on the front piece using Curlz font.  


To top it off I made a Pinwheel Bow using a tutorial from Hair Hardware. 


I have collected several more of his shirts in my stash for future refashion projects! 









Linking to these parties!

5 comments:

  1. This is so sweet looking. I do love that trim!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Linda, I found you in the Linky Party on Sew Many Ways.
    I love this refashioning, and the idea of folding the edge in the lettuce hem is really smart, it looks so neat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm visiting via the SYTYC I'm Crafty: Upcycle Projects. Hope you'll come visit my blog too (DoyleDispatch.com). This is adorable! I will have to make this for my baby girl!

    ReplyDelete