Thursday, April 11, 2013

Sesame Street Birthday Party



 
For Sophie's second birthday last April we had a huge Sesame Street party. I spent HOURS planning and creating things for this party. I saw so many great ideas on Pintrest and it just got out of control! I have promised myself not to go so overboard this year considering the fact that my due date is only about a month after her birthday. 

Let me share with you how it all came together:

CHARACTER POMP-POMS

 





The pom poms were the perfect decoration to hang from the trees in the back yard. So colorful and fun! I saw the pom poms for sale on Etsy but decided I could make my own  The pom-poms themselves were a piece of cake to make using this tutorial from Martha Stewart. Attaching the faces was a different story.

I drew the eyes, noses and mouths using a Sesame Street coloring book as a guide, and cut them from construction paper. I originally tried to mount the faces on the tips of the tissue paper but that did not work. So I attached the face pieces to the ends of pipe cleaners with tape and wrapped the opposite end around the center of the pom-pom. That took the weight off the ends of the tissue paper but caused the front of the pom-pom to droop so Elmo & friends appeared to be looking at the floor. 

On to plan C! When I hung these with fishing line on the day of the party I ran an extra piece of fishing line under the mouth of each character to help support the extra weight in the front. So each was hung using 2 pieces of fishing line -- one running from the center and one supporting the front. 

Many of the sellers of these poms on Etsy state that they will include instructions for attaching and hanging the faces to the poms so if anyone out there decides to buy these instead of going the DIY route, let me know if there is an easier way to do it!  

THE ARRIVAL

Signs that I made directed guests to our backyard for the party.



Guests were greeted by a sea of Sesame Street character footprints as they entered our backyard. Luckily, we had a beautiful sunny day! 


THE ACTIVITY CENTERS

To keep party guests busy, we had a variety of activity centers which included: 
  • Cooking with Cookie Monster


 
(***How adorable is this kitchen???? You can read about it in this post.)
 



  •   Bubbles with Big Bird
 


  • Bert & Ernie's Chalk Station


On a side note...Sophie got this easel as a birthday gift and we LOVE it. It has a dry erase board, chalk board and paper in the middle which can be pulled over either side for drawing and painting. Want one?


  • Elmo's Crayon Station & Grover's Play-Doh Station
 






  •  Pin the Nose on Elmo with magnet noses, using the easel she got for her birthday. My dad had a piece of aluminum cut to fit the front of it that Sophie can use for magnets. We simply clip it on with some binder clips and take it off when she wants to draw.

  • Count with with Count





The ideas for the bubble station, trash toss and counting game came from Annie's Eats. I came up with with others myself.   

THE SESAME STREET SIGN


The party would not have been complete without Sophie's name on a Sesame Street sign. I drew and cut the sign from green foam board. The yellow border around the sign was cut from yellow poster board that was laid over the green foam. I used Interstate Bold Compressed font for the letters. I just printed really big versions of the letters which I traced on to and cut out of white poster board.

It was the perfect decoration for the playset Sophie received for her birthday!


The sign now resides over the window in her play room. 

THE CUPCAKES


We got inspiration from Annie's Eats for the cupcakes, which included Elmo, Big Bird, Oscar, Cookie Monster and Grover. Big Bird's beak is made from a cut marshmallow lined with a red sugar sheet and covered in yellow icing. Candy eye balls, jelly beans and black sugar sheets were used to create the facial features. We used colored cupcake liners that coordinated with the color of the character, with the exception of Oscar who got a silver liner to represent his trash can. (Thank you to my husband Robbie for that clever idea!)


The cupcake tower was actually just a plastic Wilton cupcake tower that I embellished with red and white polka dot ribbon.




We learned our lesson the hard way that you should not put the candy eye balls on the cupcakes until right before the party. They will absorb the color of the icing. We put the eyeballs on the night before the party and woke up the next morning to find Elmo with bloodshot eyes.  Robbie had to make a made dash to the store for replacements. That wasn't the only disaster...read on to the cake section.  


THE CAKE 


Since Sophie has an egg allergy, we made the cake ourselves, using the following chocolate cake recipe:

1 1/2 cups flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 vegetable oil
1 cup cold water
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 tsp. vinegar

Preheat oven to 350. Mix all dry ingredients together. Mix all wet ingredients in separate bowl except the vinegar. Add wet ingredients to dry & stir until all dry ingredients are mixed. Add vinegar quickly & stir in. Pour into cake pan and immediately put pan in oven and bake for 25 to 30 min.

I have to give most of the credit to Robbie for the cake decorating. I was engrossed with decorating cupcakes so he took charge of the cake preparation. The yellow icing was smoothed out to look like fondant by using a wet knife. Elmo was molded out of Rice Krispy treats held together with tooth picks. As with the cupcakes, his face was made from candy eye balls, a jelly bean nose and mouth cut from a black sugar sheet.


We were up until 3am the night before the party decorating the cake and cupcakes! In addition to the discolored eyes we were met with the following morning, we found Elmo had fallen apart and was laying in a pile on top of the cake. The original Elmo was larger and we can only figure that his head and arms were just too heavy for the toothpicks to support. 

The eye balls were easy enough to replace, but the cake? I thought it was a goner for sure. Once again...Robbie to the rescue. Before I knew it he'd whipped up another batch of Rice Krispy treats and red icing and made a smaller Elmo that survived until party time! He would do anything for his little girl!



It was insanity around out house that morning, to say the least!    But most importantly, Sophie thought the cake was yummy!



 THE FAVORS

Attendees received two favors: A handmade Sesame Street coloring book with pack of crayons and a chocolate covered Elmo Oreo. 


I made the coloring books from construction paper, twine and coloring pages I printed from HERE. I printed two pages per sheet so they were roughly half the size of 8.5 x 11 paper. Then used a paper cutter to cut the sheet in half and hole punched twice along the left side of each sheet. I folded a piece of construction paper in half, hole punched it in the same place as the coloring sheets, placed the coloring pages inside the folded construction paper and used twine to tie it all together. I made a cover using  Sesame Street clip art and used rubber cement to glue the cover on the construction paper. 


To make the Elmo Oreos, I inserted lollipop sticks into the center of Oreos and then in melted Wilton red candy melts. Double Stuffed Oreos work best since there is more cream to hold the stick. 


Here is a handy tip for you: Before dipping, careful open the Oreo, gently press the stick into the cream, and place a little bit of melted chocolate over the stick to hold it in place before replacing the top of the Oreo. Then dip, and place on wax or parchment paper to dry. We tried just poking the stick up into the cream without opening the Oreo, and half the time the Oreo would break. 


The face is made from candy eye balls, an orange jelly bean nose and a mouth cut from a black sugar sheet. Gently press these items on immediately after dipping the Oreo in chocolate. 


We covered the Oreos in clear plastic treat bags and attached a "Thank you for celebrating with me!" tag with twine. 
  
 

The Elmo Oreos's received Sophie's stamp of approval.


Other supplies used at this party included:

THE INVITATION (AND AN OLD FRIEND)


I purchased the invitation on Etsy and had to search for awhile before finding one with Grover. Sophie loves Grover. Poor Grover got the shaft when Elmo came along, and he's not as easy to come by as the other characters. She used to call him "Super Yo-Yo." The "Super" part obviously came from Super Grover but the Yo-Yo? Who knows! She was just learning to talk. 

And speaking of Super Yo-Yo. He was one of my favorites as a kid too. Here we are sitting at a wooden table set made by my dad. (Which is still around and is now being used by Sophie when she visits her granddaddy.) 




On a side note....This little guy was stashed away in the attic for the last couple decades. I decided to pass him along to Sophie, but unfortunately he had that awful attic smell. So I washed him and 2 days later (after multiple tumbles in the dryer) his head was still so wet that he couldn't even hold it up. I thought he was a goner. But Robbie suggested cutting him open, removing the stuffing and replacing it will fresh DRY stuffing. 


What did I have to lose? He was destined for the trash at this point. So we told Sophie that Super Yo-Yo was going to the hospital for an operation, but was expected to make a full recovery. We took the seam ripper to him and would you believe that his head was full of this nasty stuffing that looked like carpet padding. We threw that all away, replaced it will fresh polyfill and sewed him back up.


Now he's as good as new! Well...maybe a little more matted that he used to be after being in the dryer so long but he's still kicking and enjoying new adventures with Sophie! 
 




I couldn't be happier with how the party turned out. It was a lot of work, but seeing Sophie's excited face made it all worth it! 









P.S. Then we went to Disney World the following month and she hasn't been interested in Sesame Street since! 

And now I bet I've got you wondering...what is our party theme for this year???  


48 comments:

  1. We would like to invite to to share at our party, which is live now: http://thebusybhive.blogspot.com/
    Thanks!
    The Busy Bee's,
    Myrna and Joye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing.
    We really do appreciate it!
    The Busy Bee's,
    Myrna and Joye.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what an awesome looking party! You did an amazing job with your decorations, games, cake, the works!! I am sure it was a blast for the kids!

    ~Mrs. Lopez of lovinglifeinpink.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. You thought of every little detail! Everything looks fantastic...especially those poms. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's one amazing Sesame Street Party. Saw you on a link party.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This party turned out absolutely adorable!! I am loving every bit of it - I mean those cake pops? Awesome! I am loving your blog - I'd be thrilled if you linked up this and any other frugal projects with us at Living Well Spending Less! http://www.livingwellspendingless.com/category/thrifty-thursday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the invite Ruth. I just linked up.

      Delete
  7. This looks like the best toddler birthday party I have ever seen!!!! great activities, love those pops!!

    And your daughter looks the spitting image of you when you was a kid!!!!

    Natasha @ Serenity You

    ReplyDelete
  8. You don't want to know...way to many hours!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such adorable ideas! Sharing on my FB page: facebook.com/HomeConfetti :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gosh! Super creative party.. I am featuring it on Facebook today.. :) Happy birthday to Sophie. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hani! I can't believe my baby is going to be 3 next week!

      Delete
  11. This is SO awesome! We did a Sesame Street party for my oldest daughter's 2nd birthday and now I think we are going to do another one for my youngest 2nd! I love your ideas! Thank you for sharing with us at Share It Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a creative and adorable party!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lucky little girl! How did you make the Elmo on the cake? Is there fondant underneath the frosting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elmo was molded out of Rice Krispy treats held together with tooth picks, then covered in icing.

      Delete
  14. What a great party! I love all of the Sesame Street ideas, you did a fabulous job with all of it! In case you didn't see it earlier, I featured this today on my blog, so stop by and grab a Featured button if you don't already have one! http://practicallyfunctional.net/2013/04/9-creative-ideas/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the feature Jessi! I really appreciate it!

      Delete
  15. I don't have a young child but I still pinned this amazing party!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow. This must have been one impressive party!

    Wanted you to know my Family-Focused Monday hop is live now and I would love to see one of your awesome posts linked up @ www.mondaykidcorner.blogspot.com.

    Have a happy week.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just wanted to BUZZ by and let you know this is going to be one of the features at our party this week. The party goes live tomorrow night.

    Thanks so much for linking up and sharing. Hope to see you again this week.

    The Busy Bee's,
    Myrna and Joye.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So many great ideas! You did an awesome job! Thanks for sharing it at Monday Funday!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, this party is amazing!! I love all the stations for her friends to participate in. I also love the nostalgic Grover :)

    Thank you so much for linking up with Much Ado About Monday at Huckleberry Love. We hope you come back next week and share what else you've been up to!

    Karla
    www.huckleberrylove.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. What an awesome party!! You did a fabulous job. Too cute!! Thank you so much for sharing at A Bouquet of Talent this week. Have a wonderful weekend. :)
    Hugs
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my goodness this is the CUTEST kids party I've ever seen! How adorable! Thanks for sharing at Give Me the Goods Monday party and hope you party with us again next week! Don't forget to check out our features on Sunday!

    http://www.marriedfiling-jointly.com/2013/04/give-me-goods-week-4.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. Awe, can I just say this is the cutest thing ever! Really so adorable. I will be featuring this on my party highlights post this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. So glad you joined me for the Monday Kid Corner party. If you haven’t linked up today, we’re live at www.mondaykidcorner.blogspot.com.

    Jennifer
    www.thejennyevolution.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love this party!!! It just makes me smile!!! Thank you so much for sharing on Party In Polka Dots!!! I am so glad you came to party! I tweeted about this party and mentioned it with the link to Party In Polka Dots on my Facebook page telling my fans to come check it out!!! This is an incredible party!

    Shelley

    www.piggyinpolkadots.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Everything is so adorable - I love it! I did a Sesame Street birthday party for my oldest when he was turning two. Perfect theme for that age! He loved it! (Although it was no where near as awesome as yours!) :)
    Stopping by from the Party in Polka Dots!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I can't get over how cute this party is! I love it! You have been featured! Come check it out and link up to this week's party!

    http://www.piggyinpolkadots.com/2013/05/party-in-polka-dots-21-fabulous-features.html

    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  27. Featuring you today! You are my fav for the month! You put so much work into this party!
    Do you want to host with me my next giveaway? It's on my blog. Let me know.
    Bisous
    Happy Memorial day!
    Isabelle

    ReplyDelete
  28. so cute! I am also doing the pom poms and i actuaally used the felt material for the faces it worked out awesome! Thank you for the ideas

    ReplyDelete
  29. OMG...what a small world!!!! I am a late night owl with a lil Sophie of my own who is about to turn 2. I'm researching sesame street birthday bc Sophie loves elmo right now and actually has the same elmo dress as your daughter that I got for her when we went to the elmo show. such a weird coincidence followed by the fact that we are also going to disney in a few weeks and she is now obsessed with minnie. i just had to comment bc this is crazy! i promise that i'm not stalking you lol =) such an amazing party! i hope my lil sophie will have a great time at hers too. your daughter's party looked amazing!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. OMG!!!! what a small world!!! i'm a late night owl up researching sesame street themed birthday ideas for my lil sophie who is about to turn 2. decided on the theme bc she loves elmo and has the exact same elmo dress as your lil sophie. isn't that a lil creepy? wait....gets more bizarre as i read your blog...we're going to disney soon and she's starting to love minnie (was that the theme for birthday #3?) loved everything that you did for her birthday! what an amazing party. pinterest is making this party over the top...thanks for al the tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness...sounds like we're leading double lives! Crazy! Good luck with your party! I'm sure your Sophie will be as happy with it as mine was with hers. And yes, we were very tempted to make Minnie the theme for birthday party #3 but ended up doing a garden party. There's a post on the blog about that too -- check it out if you have a chance. We're keeping Minnie in mind for next year! :-) Have fun at Disney!

      Delete
  31. if/when you ever get more up about that homemade play kitchen, i'd love to read about it!! it's adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I stopped over from Someday crafts on your play kitchen reno. I decided to check out your Sesame Street party, since I am thinking of the theme for LO's 2nd birthday. I realized I have seen your party on Pinterest when I was searching for Sesame St parties! Looks like Sophie had a great time & love the revamp of Grover. He's LO's favorite as well.

    ReplyDelete